As part of my work coordinating the Los Angeles Funders’ Collaborative, I organized a funder briefing exploring the intersection of climate change, health and equity in Southern California. I researched organizations and collaboratives in Southern California (from the nonprofit sector) working on this and am pleased to share the following list with you. If I’m missing key organizations or collaboratives, please let me know. Thanks! And thanks to all of the people working on the following:
- Communities for a Better Environment (CBE): Clean ports, climate justice.
- Los Angeles Eco-Village: Intentional community demonstrating sustainability.
- Sustainable Little Tokyo: Community engagement, eco-districts, regional connector
- Strategic Concepts in Organizing and Policy Education (SCOPE): Building Reslience.
- East Yard Communities for Environmental Justice (EYCEJ): Green Zones, EJ.
- Alliance for Community Transit (ACT-LA): Equitable Transit oriented development.
- Climate Cents: Carbon reducing/community building projects.
- Healthy, Equitable Land Use Network (HEAL-U): Parks, open space, community.
- Ioby Great Streets Challenge: community, fundraising, walkable, bikeable streets.
- Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator: Nurturing the new green economy.
- Los Angeles Compost: Healthy soil = climate resilience.
- Los Angeles Walks: Walking, transportation, neighborhoods.
- Physicians for Social Responsibility (PSR): Climate justice, health.
- Stand Together Against Neighborhood Drilling (STAND LA): healthy neighborhoods.
- UCLA Grand Challenges: hundreds of climate related, action-research projects
- US Green Building Council: Building Resilience.
- Vision Zero Alliance: Bike/Ped safety, livable streets, motorists – slow down please.
LOS ANGLES COUNTY
- CicLAvia: Bicycling, livable streets, community celebration.
- Coalition for Environmental Health and Justice (CEHAJ): transportation, land use.
- Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC): Urban solutions, energy, transportation.
- Climate Resolve: Energy, cool roofs, transportation and policy.
- EnviroMetro: Greening Metro and the proposed transportation ballot initiative (R2).
- Grid Alternatives: Solar, community development.
- Investing in Place: Equitable and active transportation.
- LA Alliance for a New Economy: Zero waste, clean ports and renewable energy.
- LA County Public Health: Health, equity and resilience.
- LA THRIVES: Cap and Trade, housing, transportation.
- LA n Sync: Brining state transportation dollars to fund projects.
- Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition: Bicycling, active transportation. Check out this post for a longer list of bicycle related organizations.
- Los Angeles Funders’ Collaborative: Healthy, equitable & sustainable communities.
- Move LA: Transportation bond measure (R2) for transit.
- TreePEOPLE: Trees, greenspace, water.
- Emerald Cities Collaborative: Green Jobs.
- LA Regional Collaborative for Climate Change and Sustainability (LARC): Cities.
- Public Health Alliance of Southern California: Food, water, health.
- Climate Plan: linking transportation to land use.
- California Climate Change Exchange: Community education, advocacy.
- Center for Climate Change and Health: Health, equity and leadership.
- Climate Registry: Tracks GHC emissions.
- Coalition for Clean Air: Climate equity, air quality.
- Living Streets program: Green LA, Heal the Bay, Climate Resolve: Climate ready.
- Movement Generation: Check out their Just Transition zine.
- Emerald Cities Collaborative: Resilient communities, greener cities.
Beyond the nonprofit sector:
- For what public sector engagement with climate change, check out the the LA Regional Collaborative for Climate Change and Sustainability (LARC).
- For the private sector, check out Los Angeles Cleantech Incubator and Verde Xchange.
- For what you can do as a citizen, check out what you can do to adopt the City of Los Angeles Sustainability Plan and see resources on the Climate Resolve.