- Strategic planning – deciding mission, vision, goals etc
- Selecting, supporting and evaluating the Executive Director
- Financial oversight and fundraising
- Ensuring programs are carried out
- Ensuring organization acts ethically/follows the law
- Representing the organization in public
- Recruiting new Board members
It’s important to note that Boards usually mature over time as an organization grows, from start-up to an established organization. The majority of Board members volunteer their time and energy for organizations they feel passionate about. To demonstrate their commitment, committed Board members make an annual, meaningful contribution to support the organization.
Over the years, I have worked with numerous Boards of Directors in the following areas:
- Board Development – I have facilitated processes where Boards prioritize how they want to recruit new leadership.
- Strategic Planning – I have facilitated Boards to make important decisions regarding the organization’s future. This process also usually strengthens the Board as whole.
- Fundraising – I have facilitated Boards as they help create Fund Development Plans with staff. I have also led trainings designed to better engage Board members in fundraising.
- Executive Search – I have facilitated processes to engage the entire Board in the important process of hiring a new Executive Director.
Having also served as a Board member for three different organizations (the LA County Bike Coalition before I transitioned into becoming the Executive Director, Sustainable South Bronx and the Alliance for Biking and Walking), I understand first hand the challenges Boards face. If you and your Board need support with any of the areas I mentioned above, please contact me and we can discuss further.